As a startup investor, it’s crucial to understand the tax implications of your investments to avoid any surprises on tax day. This guide aims to provide you with a comprehensive overview of the key tax considerations for investors like you. Please note that this guide is not a substitute for professional tax advice and is for informational and educational purposes only. We recommend consulting with a tax professional for personalized guidance.

Note: you can now track all your startup portfolio exits and failures in one place using the KingsCrowd Tax Center here.

In this article, we cover the following topics to make it easy for you to find the information most relevant to your situation:

  1. Tax Benefits and Special Provisions for Startup Investors: Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 1202 (100% tax-free gains), 1244 (losses), 1045 (rollovers), and long-term vs. short-term capital gains.
  2. Entity Type Considerations: Implications of investing in LLCs vs C Corps, including situations involving Schedule K-1 forms.
  3. Tax Implications of Investment Exits: Exit scenarios such as IPOs, acquisitions and mergers, and secondary sales.
  4. Tax Implications of Investment Failures: Failures, including capital losses, Section 1244 stock loss deductions, worthless securities, and bad debts.
  5. SAFEs and Convertibles Notes: Special tax considerations for SAFEs and Convertible Notes and how to handle when these securities convert to equity.
  6. Deductible Investment Expenses: Types of investment-related expenses that may be tax-deductible, including management fees, subscriptions, and crowdfunding platform fees, as well as limitations and eligibility criteria for claiming these deductions.
  7. State-Level Tax Considerations: High-level overview of key principles regarding startup investing taxes at the state level.
  8. Tax Reporting Requirements: Relevant tax forms and documentation, reporting requirements for Reg CF, Reg A, and Reg D investments, and record-keeping best practices for tax purposes.
  9. Tax Planning Strategies: Considerations for optimizing your tax situation, timing of investments and exits, and tax-efficient investment structures such as IRAs, self-directed IRAs, and trusts.

1 – Tax Benefits and Special Provisions for Startup Investors

While startups have similarities to public market stocks and bonds in terms of being taxed as long-term and short-term gains, there are also special tax provisions that apply to startups that you might not be familiar with.

Capital Gains Tax: Long-term vs. Short-term

Similar to stocks, startup investments are typically subject to capital gains tax when you sell your shares and realize a profit. The tax rate depends on your holding period. If you held the investment for more than one year, it’s considered a long-term capital gain, which generally has a lower tax rate. If you held it for less than a year, it’s a short-term capital gain, taxed at your ordinary income tax rate.

Ordinary Income Tax

Ordinary income tax may apply to dividends, interest, and other income generated by your startup investments. These earnings are typically taxed at your regular income tax rate. Note that for equity and SAFE investments in startups, this is very uncommon. The reason is that startups are usually better-served to reinvest any revenues and profits into bolstering growth rather than paying out dividends to investors.

However, dividends and payments are common on debt and revenue-share deals. So it typically depends on the security type of your startup investment.

Qualified Small Business Stock (QSBS) – Section 1202

Section 1202 of the Internal Revenue Code allows for potential tax benefits on gains from the sale of qualified small business stock (QSBS) held for more than five years. Certain criteria below must be met. If eligible, you may exclude up to 100% of the capital gains, up to $10 million or 10X your cost basis, whichever is greater.

The criteria for an investment to be considered QSBS are:

  1. The business is a domestic C Corporation (not an LLC) and is not a hotel, farm, mining company, restaurant, financial institution, or business relating to architecture, law, or engineering
  2. The investment is in Common or Preferred Shares (not Convertible Note or SAFE)
  3. You are the original purchaser and acquired the shares directly from the issuing company (i.e. not acquired on a secondary market)
  4. The business never had gross assets in excess of $50 million and does not have assets in excess of $50 million immediately after issuance
  5. The company meets certain active business requirements, with at least 80% of its assets for the active conduct of one or more qualified businesses
  6. The QSBS was acquired after September 27, 2010 (less than 100% tax exemptions may still be applicable to QSBS acquired prior to this date)

The 100% tax-free gains under QSBS is a major potential benefit for qualified startup investments, since it provides a lower tax burden even compared to long-term capital gains.

What if you invest in QSBS but hold it less than the 5 years required to get 100% tax-free gains under Section 1202?

Rollover of Gains – Section 1045

Section 1045 allows investors to defer taxable gains on the sale of QSBS if they reinvest the proceeds in another QSBS within 60 days. For those who are familiar with 1031 exchanges in real estate, Section 1045 is the QSBS startup equivalent (albeit with differences on the timeline to complete the rollover transaction). Certain conditions must be met to qualify for this rollover provision and the taxpayer must make a special election to claim 1045 treatment the year of the sale.

For example, assume a startup you invested in exits after only 3 years. You would not be able to get 100% tax-free gains under Section 1202 because you didn’t hold the QSBS for more than 5 years. However, Section 1045 lets you reinvest some or all of those proceeds into another QSBS, such that if the sum of the holding periods for the original and the new QSBS is held for more than 5 years total (in this example, the original 3 years plus an additional 2 years for the new investment), then you may be able to qualify for Section 1202 tax-free gains.

This may work for investors who are already investing in enough companies that it would be part of their normal investments over the next 60 days. But because of the high risk of failure in startup investing, investors should exercise caution that they don’t seek out a lower-quality startup solely for the purpose of trying to meet the 60-day clock.

Section 1244 Stock Loss Deduction

Section 1244 allows investors to deduct losses on eligible small business stock as ordinary losses, subject to specific limits. This provision can provide significant tax benefits, as ordinary losses can offset ordinary income.

For example, instead of only being able to deduct up to $3,000 in capital losses in a given tax year, Section 1244 ordinary losses can provide deductions up to $50,000 ($100,000 joint) per year, and those losses offset your ordinary income, which is typically taxed at a higher rate than capital gains.

There are several different requirements to qualify for Section 1244 losses compared to what is required for an investment to be considered QSBS:

  1. Stock is in a domestic C- or S-Corporation
  2. Stock was acquired only in exchange for cash or property (e.g. not in return for services or stock/securities, which is different than Section 1202)
  3. Stock was acquired directly from the issuer (i.e. not via a secondary sale)
  4. Stock was part of the first $1 million raised in total by the issuer
  5. At least 50% of the company’s gross receipts come from an active trade (e.g. not from royalties, rents, dividends, interest, etc.) for the five years preceding the loss
  6. Stock is not in an investment or a holding company, regardless of whether the gross receipts test is passed

For an in-depth discussion of Section 1202, 1045, and 1244, check out our article here.

2 – Entity Type Considerations: LLC vs. C Corp

The entity structure of the startup you invest in can impact your tax requirements. LLCs and C Corporations have different tax treatments, which can influence your investment returns and tax benefits.

Pass-through taxation for LLCs

LLCs typically have pass-through taxation, which means the company’s profits and losses flow through to your personal tax return. This can be beneficial, as it allows you to offset other income with losses from the investment. However, keep in mind that the tax treatment of your investment income from an LLC may be more complex, as you’ll need to consider the various forms of income generated, such as dividends, interest, and rental income.

Double taxation for C Corporations

C Corporations face double taxation – first at the corporate level, and then at the shareholder level on dividends. While this may result in higher taxes, C Corporation investments may be eligible for certain tax benefits, such as those provided by Sections 1202 and 1045.

C Corporations are often the type of business entity that most Venture Capital firms require before making an investment.

Impact on eligibility for Section 1202, 1045, and 1244 benefits

The startup’s entity type can affect your eligibility for tax benefits under Sections 1202, 1045, and 1244. As mentioned earlier, Section 1202 benefits apply to investments in qualified small business stock (QSBS), which must be issued by a C Corporation. Similarly, Section 1045 rollover provisions are limited to QSBS investments. Section 1244 stock loss deductions also depend on the investment being in a small business corporation (C or S Corporation) that meets a gross receipts test.

For more insights, check out our comparison of investing in LLCs and C Corps.

Implications of LLC to C Corp conversions on taxes

Sometimes, startups initially structured as LLCs may decide to convert to a C Corporation for various reasons, such as attracting institutional investors, granting stock options to employees, or preparing for an IPO. This conversion can have tax implications for both the startup and its investors.

For investors, the conversion may trigger a taxable event if the value of the company has appreciated significantly since the initial investment. In this case, the investor may be required to recognize and report the gain in their tax return. Additionally, the tax benefits associated with Sections 1202, 1045, and 1244 may become applicable once the startup is restructured as a C Corporation, potentially providing future tax advantages.

A deeper discussion on the topic of LLC to C Corp conversions for taxes can be found here.

Schedule K-1 filing for investments in LLCs

When investing in an LLC, you may receive a Schedule K-1 form at tax time. The Schedule K-1 is used to report your share of the LLC’s income, deductions, credits, and other tax items. As an investor in an LLC, you’ll need to include this information on your personal tax return. The K-1 form helps ensure that the LLC’s income and deductions are allocated correctly among its investors, taking into account the pass-through taxation structure of the LLC. Make sure to consult with a tax professional for guidance on how to properly report your share of the LLC’s financial activity on your tax return.

Note that for smaller investments (such as those made in Reg CF and Reg A of less than $10,000), the amounts on your Schedule K-1 can be very small – on the order of single dollars or even cents. You may also receive schedule K-1 forms that contain all zeros.

Filing Extensions Due to Schedule K-1 Delays

It’s common for investors in pass-through entities like LLCs and S Corporations to receive Schedule K-1 forms later than expected. Since the issuing companies often need additional time to finalize their financial statements and tax filings, you may not receive your Schedule K-1 until close to or even after the individual tax filing deadline.

In such cases, you can request an extension to file your individual tax return.

Keep in mind that an extension to file your tax return is not an extension to pay any taxes owed. You should still estimate your tax liability and pay any amount due by the original deadline to avoid interest and potential penalties. Once you receive your Schedule K-1 and finalize your tax return, you can reconcile the amounts paid with the actual tax liability and either pay any additional amount owed or receive a refund for overpayment.

3 – Tax Implications of Investment Exits

Investment exits — such as the exits and failures we track here — are the moments when you may realize substantial gains or losses on your startup investments. Understanding the tax implications of different exit scenarios can help you better prepare and manage your tax liability.


When a startup goes public through an IPO, your shares become publicly tradable. If you decide to sell your shares after the IPO, you’ll need to pay capital gains tax on any profits realized. Remember, the tax rate depends on your holding period – long-term capital gains are generally taxed at a lower rate than short-term gains.

Mergers and Acquisitions

In the case of a merger or acquisition, the tax treatment depends on the type of payout you receive. If you’re paid in cash, you’ll generally owe capital gains tax on the difference between the cash received and your initial investment. If you’re paid in stock, the tax implications can be more complex, as you may need to consider the basis of the new shares, potential rollovers, and other factors.

Secondary Sales

Selling shares on secondary markets can also result in tax consequences. Similar to an IPO, any profits realized from the sale are subject to capital gains tax, with the rate depending on your holding period. Note that secondary sales may be subject to specific rules and restrictions depending on the platform and the nature of the shares.

4 – Tax Implications of Investment Failures

Investment failures are an unfortunate reality of startup investing, as many early-stage companies do not succeed. Understanding the tax implications of various failure scenarios can help you make the most of your losses and better manage your tax liability.

Capital losses on investment failures

When a startup investment shuts down or returns less than what you invested, you may have a capital loss. Capital losses can be used to offset capital gains from other investments, reducing your overall tax liability. If your capital losses exceed your capital gains, you can also use the excess loss to offset up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) of other income. Any remaining unused capital losses can be carried forward to future tax years.

Section 1244 stock loss deductions

If your startup investment qualifies as Section 1244 stock, you may be eligible for more favorable tax treatment in the case of a failure. Section 1244 allows individual investors to treat losses from the sale, exchange, or worthlessness of qualifying small business stock as ordinary losses rather than capital losses. Ordinary losses can be used to offset ordinary income, potentially providing a greater tax benefit. The maximum Section 1244 loss deduction is limited to $50,000 ($100,000 for married couples filing jointly) per year.

Worthless securities and bad debts

In some cases, a startup may disappear or become insolvent, rendering your investment worthless. To claim a loss on a worthless security, you’ll need to demonstrate that the investment has no value and cannot be sold. This is typically done by filing a capital loss claim using IRS Form 8949 and Schedule D, treating the worthless security as if it were sold on the last day of the tax year.

If you’ve loaned money to a startup that fails, you may have a nonbusiness bad debt. Nonbusiness bad debts are treated as short-term capital losses, regardless of how long you held the debt. You’ll need to demonstrate that the debt became worthless during the tax year to claim a bad debt deduction.

5 – Tax Implications of SAFEs and Convertible Notes

Although some of the same tax principles apply to SAFEs and Convertible Notes as to Common and Preferred equity (long term gains/losses), there are additional tax considerations for these convertible security types at the time that they convert into equity.

Simple Agreements for Future Equity (SAFEs)

SAFEs are contracts that provide investors with the right to receive equity at a future date. They are typically not considered equity until they convert, so there are no immediate tax implications for the investor. Upon conversion, the cost basis of the shares received will be equal to the original SAFE investment amount, and the holding period for capital gains purposes will begin on the conversion date. However, there is some debate over whether SAFEs are more akin to a variable prepaid forward contracts (typically applied to pre-money SAFEs), where the holding period for long-term capital gains doesn’t start until it converts to equity. Others argue that post-money SAFEs are more akin to equity, and thus the long-term holding period begins on the purchase date of the SAFE.

Either way, any gains realized upon a subsequent sale or exit will be subject to capital gains taxes, depending on the holding period. QSBS benefits may also apply to shares received from the conversion of a SAFE if all other QSBS eligibility requirements are met. That is, the 5-year clock to qualify as QSBS doesn’t typically start until the conversion of a SAFE into equity.

Convertible Notes

Similar to SAFEs, convertible notes are debt instruments that can convert into equity at a future date. Interest on the note may be subject to ordinary income taxes for the investor, but the conversion itself is generally not a taxable event. Upon conversion, the investor’s cost basis in the shares received will include the original principal amount of the note, plus any accrued and unpaid interest. The holding period for capital gains purposes begins on the conversion date, and any gains realized upon a subsequent sale or exit will be subject to capital gains taxes, depending on the holding period. Similar to SAFEs, QSBS may apply to shares received after a conversion if all other QSBS requirements are met.

6 – Deductible Investment Expenses

As an investor, you may incur various expenses related to your startup investments, some of which may be tax-deductible. These can include management fees, subscriptions, and other investment-related expenses.

Management fees, subscriptions, and other investment-related expenses

Some investment-related expenses may be deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions, depending on your individual tax situation. These can include management fees paid to investment advisors or platforms, as well as subscriptions to investment research or analysis services. Keep in mind that there may be limitations on the amount you can deduct, and some taxpayers may not be eligible to claim these deductions depending on their income level and filing status.

Adjusted Cost Basis and Crowdfunding Platform Fees

Typically, crowdfunding platform fees are considered part of your investment’s adjusted cost basis rather than as separate deductible expenses. This approach is in line with tax principles related to the acquisition of securities.

  • Inclusion in Cost Basis: Fees paid to crowdfunding platforms (see stats on the top 2023 Reg CF platforms here), often calculated as a percentage of your investment, should generally be added to the cost basis of your investment. This means the total cost of your investment includes both the amount you invest directly in the startup and any associated fees.
  • Impact on Capital Gains or Losses: When you sell your investment, this higher cost basis will reduce the capital gain (or increase the capital loss) that you realize. For example, if you invest $1,000 in a startup and pay a $50 platform fee, your cost basis for the investment is $1,050. If you later sell the investment for $1,500, your capital gain is $450 ($1,500 – $1,050) instead of $500.

Limitations and eligibility criteria for claiming deductions

When claiming deductions for investment expenses, be aware of the limitations and eligibility criteria that apply. For instance, certain expenses may be subject to a 2% floor, meaning that you can only deduct the amount that exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). Additionally, miscellaneous itemized deductions may not be available to taxpayers who are subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT). Always consult with a tax professional to ensure you’re accurately claiming deductions and adhering to the relevant rules and regulations.

7 – Startup Investing Taxes at the State Level

While this guide primarily focuses on federal tax implications, it’s important to consider state-level taxes when investing in startups. State tax laws can vary significantly, and it’s crucial to be aware of the key principles that may apply to your investments.

State income taxes on capital gains

Many states impose income taxes on capital gains derived from investments, including those in startups. The tax rates and treatment of capital gains can differ from state to state. Some states may follow federal tax rules, while others may have their own unique approach to taxing capital gains. As an investor, you should be aware of the tax rates in your state and how they impact your startup investments.

State tax credits and incentives for investing in startups

Some states offer tax credits or incentives to encourage investments in early-stage companies, particularly those in specific industries, such as technology or clean energy. These incentives may come in the form of tax credits, deductions, or reduced tax rates for qualifying investments. It’s essential to research the specific tax incentives available in your state and determine their applicability to your startup investments.

Nexus and multi-state tax considerations

If you invest in startups located in different states or are a resident of one state and invest in a startup located in another, you may be subject to multi-state tax considerations. The concept of “nexus” determines whether an investor has a sufficient connection with a state to be subject to its taxes. Nexus rules can vary between states, and understanding these rules is essential to ensure compliance and avoid potential tax liabilities.

State tax filing requirements

Depending on your state’s tax rules and the nature of your investments, you may be required to file additional state tax forms or schedules related to your startup investments. This may include reporting capital gains or losses, disclosing investments in pass-through entities like LLCs, or claiming state-specific tax credits and incentives.

Given the complexities and variations in state tax laws, it’s crucial to consult with a tax professional familiar with the tax regulations in your state to ensure compliance and maximize your tax benefits from startup investments.

For more information, check out our article on state tax credits for angel investors.

8 – Tax Reporting Requirements for Startup Investors

As a startup investor, it’s essential to understand the tax reporting requirements associated with your investments. In this section, we’ll explore the relevant tax forms and documentation, reporting requirements for Reg CF, Reg A, and Reg D investments, and record-keeping best practices for tax purposes.

Relevant tax forms and documentation

Depending on the nature of your investments and the returns generated, you may need to file several tax forms to report your gains, losses, and expenses. Some common forms include:

  • Schedule D (Form 1040): Used to report capital gains and losses from investments.
  • Form 8949: Required for reporting sales and exchanges of capital assets, including startup investments.
  • Schedule K-1 (Form 1065 or Form 1120S): Used to report income, deductions, and credits from investments in pass-through entities like LLCs or S Corporations.

Reporting requirements for Reg CF, Reg A, and Reg D investments

The reporting requirements for Reg CF, Reg A, and Reg D investments can vary, but generally, you’ll need to report any gains, losses, or income generated from these investments on your tax return. Be sure to keep track of the investment amounts, dates, and any relevant documentation to ensure accurate reporting.

Record-keeping best practices for tax purposes

Maintaining proper records of your startup investments is crucial for accurate tax reporting. Consider the following best practices:

  • Retain documentation of investments, such as purchase confirmations, offering documents, and subscription agreements. You also want to obtain any initial documentation that supports QSBS qualification of your investment and related requirements that can be hard to obtain years later when you have an exit or failure.
  • Track any dividends, interest, or other income received from your investments.
  • Keep records of any exit transactions, such as sales, IPOs, or acquisitions.
  • Maintain copies of tax forms and schedules filed with your tax return.

KingsCrowd’s company exit and failure tracker can help investors to search for potential taxable events.

The KingsCrowd portfolio tool also can help startup investors to track exits, failures, conversions, and more all in one place.

Documentation for Section 1202, 1045, and 1244 Qualifications

To qualify for the tax benefits provided by IRS Sections 1202, 1045, and 1244, it is essential to maintain proper documentation and records.

Section 1202 (Qualified Small Business Stock)

  • Proof of stock acquisition, such as stock certificates, stock purchase agreements, or stock ledgers.
  • Evidence that the stock was issued directly by the corporation, such as corporate minutes, board resolutions, or funding portal and/or SEC EDGAR filing documentation.
  • Documentation showing that the corporation was a C Corporation with less than $50 million in gross assets when the stock was issued.
  • Records of the original issue date to verify the holding period requirement (at least five years).
  • Confirmation that the issuing company is engaged in a qualified trade or business.

Section 1045 (Rollover of Gains from Qualified Small Business Stock)

  • Documentation supporting the eligibility of the initial investment for Section 1202 treatment (as described above).
  • Proof of the stock’s sale, such as brokerage statements or sale confirmations.
  • Records of the purchase of a replacement qualified small business stock within the 60-day rollover period, such as stock purchase agreements or stock certificates.
  • Timely reporting of the rollover transaction on your tax return using Form 8949 and Schedule D.

Section 1244 (Small Business Stock Losses)

  • Evidence that the stock was issued directly by the corporation, such as stock certificates or stock purchase agreements.
  • Documentation showing that the corporation was a domestic C Corporation when the stock was issued.
  • Records of the original issue date and the purchase price.
  • Proof that the issuing company received at least 50% of its total gross receipts from active business operations during the five most recent tax years (or two years if the company has been in existence for less time).
  • Confirmation of the total amount of capital lost by the corporation and the amount that qualifies for Section 1244 treatment.

9 – Tax Planning Strategies for Startup Investors

Strategic tax planning can help you optimize your tax situation and minimize your tax liabilities from startup investments. In this section, we’ll discuss considerations for optimizing your tax situation, timing of investments and exits, and tax-efficient investment structures.

Considerations for optimizing your tax situation

Evaluate your overall tax situation to identify opportunities for tax optimization, such as:

  • Leveraging tax benefits, like QSBS, rollover provisions, or ordinary loss deductions.
  • Timing investments and exits to qualify for long-term capital gains rates.
  • Offsetting capital gains with capital losses.
  • Claiming deductible investment expenses.
  • Using tax-deferred investment accounts, such as a self-directed IRA.

Timing of investments and exits

The timing of your investments and exits can significantly impact your tax liabilities. Consider holding investments for at least one year to qualify for long-term capital gains rates, which are generally lower than short-term rates. Additionally, monitor the holding period requirements for QSBS and other tax benefits to ensure you maximize their potential advantages.

Tax-efficient investment structures

Consider using tax-efficient investment structures, such as traditional or self-directed IRAs or trusts, to defer or reduce taxes on your startup investments. These structures can provide tax advantages, such as tax-deferred growth or preferential tax rates, but may have specific rules and limitations. Consult with a tax professional to determine the most appropriate structure for your individual circumstances.


Understanding the tax implications of your startup investments is essential for maximizing your potential returns and managing your tax liability. This guide is designed to help you navigate the complexities of startup investing taxes, but always remember to consult a tax professional for personalized advice tailored to your individual situation.

By staying informed about the tax considerations associated with startup investing, you can make more informed decisions and better plan for the future.